Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Day 3: Smells Like Christmas

When I woke up this morning I walked by our Christmas tree and took a big whiff. To me, the smell of a Douglas Fir is the ultimate. There are a lot of things that bring back Christmas memories but nothing like the smell of a Christmas tree. If I drive by a tree lot I'll roll down the windows just in case the wind is blowing in my direction. I love the smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree.

There is a downside to going the real tree route though. For years I've been getting sick in the last week of December and during that time I've been living in a state of denial. There's no way my beloved Christmas tree is the culprit! But alas, I think it may be. Blasted allergies!!

I did contemplate going the "fake plastic tree" route this year, but when I walked through the parking lot at Home Depot to buy more lights for our house, I strolled past a huge pile of caged pine trees longing for a home. At that moment I smelled Christmas amongst the SUV's and sub-compacts. The trees drew me in like the Sirens from Homer's Odyssey. (that's Homer the author, not Homer the Simpson). Unlike Ulysses though, I wasn't able to break free from their cursed siren call and I packed up the fam a few day later and, blamo, we had a tree.

It's not just the scent though, it's the tradition. I always loved going to the tree lot as a kid and I can't wait for Jack (and his future little sister) to be old enough to anticipate that day like I did. Plus, without the existence of the tree lot we wouldn't have the classic scene from A Christmas Story where the Old Man haggles with the guy on the lot:
Salesman:We got 300 trees. This here is the Christmas tree emporium of the whole midwest. Look at this tree. Aint no needles coming off this tree (thousands of needles fall off). This aint no tree. This here is a tree.
Mom: It looks a little skimpy in the front.
Salesman: Well, you can just put it in the corner.
The Old Man: Haven't you got a Big tree?
Salesman: Yeah! Heck, this aint no tree! This here is a tree.
The Old Man:  (giddy): Hah ha, look at the needles there (touches tree lovingly)
Mom: Don't you think it’s a little big?
The Old Man: Oh no. You know Christmas only comes once a year. How much?
Salesman: I'll knock off two bucks because I can see you’re a man who knows his trees.
 Mom: This isn't one of those trees where all the needles fall off is it?
Salesman: Naah, that's them Balsams.
The old man loved bargaining as much as an Arab trader, and he was twice as shrewd.
The Old Man: You know the neighbors bought one of those brand new plastic trees.
 (salesman gets a look of disgust on his face).
The Old Man: This thing looks like it was made of...green pipecleaners (laughing)
Mom: It’s a very nice tree.
The Old Man: Naah.
 Salesman: I'll throw in some rope and tie it to your car for you.
The Old Man: Sold!!

That being said, if I get as sick this year as I did last year I may have to give up that tradition. Maybe a new tradition will be driving down to AutoZone to get the pine tree air fresheners and hanging them all over our "green pipe cleaner" tree.



 You know what... Bah Humbug to that!!! I'll live through the sniffles to keep the tradition alive!

1 comment:

  1. I bought a wreath with the hopes it would provide some Christmas scent in the house. It did now. I'm looking forward to seeing yours so I can enjoy the odor without the illness..I hope.

    ReplyDelete