Tuesday, September 20, 2011

So This Is It

Ok, so here it is my first real post. I have exactly 20 minutes before my lunch ends and I'm functioning on very little sleep so I think in hindsight I'm going to look back and wish this wasn't my first real entry! I'm new to this whole blogging thing but I would think you would want your first entry to be something really profound, witty or insightful. Unfortunately what I'm going to have is a rushed/sleep deprived attempt at...something.

Anyway, to get to the point. I was talking to somebody this morning about the whole idea of keeping a blog and what the point of it is. And we both sort of came to the conclusion that it seems the overall intent is to try to get a whole bunch of "followers" to read whatever it is you have to say. Which is exactly why I've been so hesitant to start one because on the surface that seems like an incredibly conceited thing to do. I know that's not the case for a lot of people but to me it almost seems like you think so highly of what you have to say or of your writing skills that you assume people will want to read it on a regular basis. It appears so self-promoting and having had issues in the past with my own arrogance and pride I always worried that this would just be feeding those negative aspects of my personality. Of course, I have a wonderful wife who I'm sure will point it out to me if I start venturing too far in that direction. At least I hope she will!

With that being said, when I logged in a few moments ago I saw this little notice on my dashboard that indicated I had one new follower! It was the weirdest thing to see that because I actually got kind of excited. Wow, somebody actually wants to read what I have to say! It is a really cool feeling and incredibly humbling at the same time. Of course it may only take a few entries for my one follower to become no followers so we'll see how it all goes.

Anyway, I want to say very special thank you to my very first follower. Thanks CLR, and thanks for your encouragement to get me writing again.

2 comments:

  1. Happy to be your first follower, and also happy to encourage you to do something you love. It is obvious you love to write, you love to ponder, and you love to make people laugh. This is the perfect outlet.
    Also I would suggest that Blog writing CAN be a conceited way of gaining attention...but it can also just be a way of being creative and doing something with a your passion to write. Much like a journal. Only this time, someone can read it if they want to, and gain from your experience, your wisdom, your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Court, I appreciate that. And I appreciate the fact that you would be part of the intervention team that would step in if I got too full of myself!

    ReplyDelete